Custom Blank- Choice of Cane and Shape - Hardness Graded
These blanks are made to order, and will take 3-4 weeks to ship.
Uncut and uncarved bassoon reeds ready for finishing.Your choice of cane, shape and hardness level
Cane: Donati, Rieger, Rigotti, Danzi, Gonzalez, Neuranter
Shape: Rieger 1A (Standard), Rieger 2 (Wide), Rieger 14 (Narrow)
Hardness: Medium, Medium-Hard, Hard
Thread color will vary, but may be requested if available.
Overall length: 60mm
Blade Length: 30mm
Tube Length: 30mm
- Ream if necessary.
- Soak blank for 2-3 minutes.
- Clip the tip at 27mm from the 1st wire. Final blade length should be between 26 and 27mm from the first wire.
- If the tip is closed, gently squeeze the first wire from side to side with pliers. The opening of the blank should be about the width of a dime.
- If the wires are loose, tighten the first 2 wires so they are snug. Be careful not to over tighten.
- Clean/ remove excess cane from the collar of the reed with a razor blade or exacto knife.
- Carve the thumbnail and lightly file the sides.
- Lightly scrape or file the back of the reed if the reed is too hard or too bright (Hold the reed up to a light to look for dark spots)
- Allow the reed to sit for a couple days before testing and removing any more cane.
- Test the reed and make adjustments. Allow the reed to sit for a couple more days. Repeat as necessary.
- If the pitch is flat or the E and or C# in the staff are unstable, check if the wires are loose.
- If the wires are loose, tighten them. If the wires are snug, clip the tip in .5mm increments until the pitch is stable.